20091030

New Toys

I'm not normally a betting man. I enjoy what little money I get from NewsLine, and I don't like to blow it. I take that back. I like to blow it, but I want to blow it on something that will be fun. Gambling isn't fun, because I usually lose.

Last night I played sabacc at the Weary Traveler. Normally I'll go to sabacc night with the guys. We'll usually go to Waris' house and sometimes we'll go all night. But I don't go to sabacc dens or other public gambling institutions, because I know they're a scam. But last night I decided to take up what I assumed was a friendly game of low-stakes sabacc.

I walked out five hours later with a swoop and a hundred credits. Don't ask me how. Luck was just on my side.

Granted, the bike is a bit rough. It needs to be fixed up and painted, but it works (the guy I won it from had ridden in on it. So now I've got something fun to do on the weekends. I really want to take it through some of the canyons in the Jundland Wastes, but I also like living, and I'm in no rush to end up a greasy stain on the canyon wall. I'll ask around at work to see if anyone knows of good places to ride. I'm sure the salt flats outside of town are fine, but there's always a better place. I want to take Grandpa Jair for a ride when he gets here, but I don't know if he'd be up for it.

So I found out more info on those pirates and the liners that got hijacked. The Tarnished Blades have claimed responsibility, though I kind of doubt they pulled it off. They are the remnants of the Silent Blades, that Outer Rim pirate group that was hunted down by the Empire a few years ago. I could see the Tarnished Blades jumping some freighters, but not passenger liners, and certainly not with interdictor cruisers. I highly doubt they would have the ability, from a purely financial standpoint, to get their hands on something so complex and with such large man-power needs.

Part of me thinks it's Black Sun, or at least Black Sun "subcontractors," but the other part of me wonders why they would make such a bold move. And following that line of thinking, is that move part of an actual campaign, or is it a feint to draw attention away from something else?

Well, I'm going to take my new bike for a spin. Catch you suckers later.

-JJK

No comments: