20091019

The Heritage

I spoke with my folks last night. They were telling me that my grandfather is planning to come out and visit me, which is fantastic! Grandpa Jair is nothing short of amazing, and he and I have always gotten along splendidly. He's 73, so I'm hoping he'll be able to handle the travel well enough, but he's a tough old man, so I'm not worried. I'll call him tonight, probably, and chat with him a bit.

Jair Lovely Kayle (yes, his middle name is "Lovely," and mark my words, there's never been a tougher or more manly man to bear that name) is my namesake and my father's father. He, like his father, and his father's father, and his father's father's father, was born and raised on Commenor. He spent his early life in Chasin City, attended the University for astronautical engineering, and spent his entire career as a designer for Corellian Engineering Corp. He worked mainly on guidance systems, and he worked on many well-known designs, including the Action series of transports, the CR-70 and CR-90 Corvettes, and the YT series of light freighters. I'll have to ask him about it, but I think he was, for a while, part of Nerfworks, the think-tank design team that created the droid ships. He met my grandma and they were married for 44 years before she died. By that time Grandpa had retired from CEC, returned to Commenor and built a big home on a few acres of land outside of Kliffen. They had five boys (the Force bless my grandma...she was a Corellian, so she, if anyone, could handle it), and they'd built the massive home to accommodate all five sons and their families. It was a little tight, but it was great fun.

Anyway, Grandpa and Grandma Kayle traveled all over the galaxy while she was alive, just adventuring and exploring and learning, so he's always got stories to tell. Even if I've heard them a dozen times before, I still like hearing them again. He's such a good storyteller, that every time I hear a story is like the first time all over again. So yeah, I'm excited to see him.

Enough of that, though. Tonight the weekend starts, and some of us are going over to Leewo's for sabacc night. I think it's my turn to provide alcohol, so I'll be running to the store later. This weekend I think we're going to try to get a pickup bolo-ball game going in town. There are a bunch of Rodians who have expressed interest in starting a "just for fun" league, and I think it'd be a great idea. It's been a while since I've done more than juggle the ball with my feet, so it'll be nice to dust the bolo-ball boots off and actually play a game.

Later, spacers.
JJK

No comments: