20100314

Freedom

Hi, gang. It's been a while since I rapped at ya, but I've been stretching my wings, as it were.

I've been taking flying lessons. I haven't purchased a ship yet, but probably wouldn't make much sense to get one until I know how to fly it. Ernie is friends with a couple of spacers, and he's introduced me to them. One of them, a freighter pilot from Ord Mantell, has been teaching me how to fly. I had previously thought that any experience driving a speeder would help.

Turns out driving a landspeeder is as much like flying as eating a Sorennan mint cake is like Darth Vader, which is to say that it's not like it at all.

 We've been practicing in this guy's YT-2000, the Kokada Maru. It's a beauty of a ship, and it handles really nicely. I can now take-off and land with relative ease, and I'm getting to be a smooth touch at the controls at sublight speeds. I still need some work with the navcomputer, but it's getting a little better all the time. I just need my fingers to move faster on the keys.

I've been looking at ships, though. I saw a nice old YT-1210 at Vynn's friend's shipyard. Just the fact that two generations of my family have worked for CEC makes me lean towards that. From what I can tell, there's nothing really wrong with it, and the only reason those never did well is because the 1300 series came out soon after the 1200 series, and they were just that much better. So who knows? I also saw a nice ship with something like chrome plating or something, and it's pretty sleek, but probably beyond my price range.

I've been asked to head out to  to report on some minor political disturbances going on there, so I'll probably be out for the next week or so, and then I'm going back home to visit Sienn and the fam. Being back for my grandfather's funeral really reminded me of how much I missed my family, so I'm going to take more time to visit. And see Sienn.

Here's a picture I made of her. Doesn't nearly do her justice. But I found some old paints in an old shop in Mos Espa, so I figured I'd put them to good use. I'm really underselling the freckles, though, which is a shame...because...because freckles.

1 comment:

Benjamin said...

I heard Ernie got his toes all frostbit once, but his mum saved 'em by puttin' 'em in her mouth. It's true. If Ernie had told me that I had to save his toes by puttin' them in my mouth, I'd say, "Well, Ernie, I'll take you down to the Salvation Army and get you some crutches."